August 29, 2007

Watch This Space


A rough building site, shadows curling across the rubble and along unfinished walls, and a time designated to sit and watch this space. There isn't even any paint to dry–this time we're watching something take shape from very, very deep down inside.


It's both inside me and inside this wall. You can't see it with your normal eyes, at least, I can't. I have to keep closing those normal eyes so I can see this coming together more clearly, so it helps to sit here in the physical space for a while and let the pictures come on into view.



This is a big commission–the amazing thing I've mentioned before but couldn't elaborate on too much. It is a commission to fill this wall space with images, and while I have a fairly strong idea what kind of images, the specifics are just now being worked out. While that content develops inside it's captivating to see the elegance and grace of these shadows on the wall, the triptych of wire shapes and the soft coherence of a simple colour palette already at work. These things speak a little about the essence of my images to come. There is a peace already here while beauty emerges from the ashes of a derelict place with plans for hope and a bright future. It's good to watch because it confirms that something goes ahead preparing the way, and it's right to watch because the nature of this preparation helps encourage the vision on its journey.



This is an active building site so full safety gear is required. It feels somehow poetic that I should be there in armour, protecting myself from harm while encouraging the ideas out.

(Follow this link to related NEWS article, August 2008.)


{Today's soundtrack: Coldcut - Sound Mirrors}

1 comment:

lorna said...

I'm sitting and watching.x