August 15, 2007

Homeland : introduction

Something has been stirring in the soul. (See 6th July: Homeland.)

When I moved back home to Bristol two years ago I went up on my bike to the Balloon Fiesta, very early one morning, to see over one hundred balloons taking off in thin, clear morning air. I thought there would be only a handful of people watching, but was surprised to discover hundreds of folk settled with breakfast barbeques as the Lighthouse Family (Gonna Get Lifted!) crooned the balloons on their way. It was cheesy but brilliant. After London's strictness and claustrophobia, I was moved to think of my home turf birthing these gentle adventurers, all seeking their radical view of the land with no agenda that makes earthly sense. Not only this, but I was also moved by the desire of those gathered to be captivated and lifted to another place.

It's true, I thought, there really are people who care about living in hope rather than existing in ambition, and this is where I live.

Two years following this, our story begins...

1 comment:

bigdaddystevieB said...

Lizzie: I'm completely with you on this (see my blog 10/08/07 and facebook album if you're in to that - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6073&id=647518161)! Love the black+white images - wonderful quality of light and calmness.