August 01, 2007

A Lundy tear-jerker

There's a climb on the west side of Lundy called Devil's Slide and it is famous for its dramatic and sheer drop over 400ft straight into the sea, like this:




I went with my climbing pals Rob, Woz and Greg (big bruisers the lot of them) to climb this on our recent trip, and it left me in tears. Here's why.

The effects of the gorgeous forty-five minute walk up there start you off with a real sense of other-worldliness - just being on the island itself is an elemental wake up call. Is it because we are detached from the sturdy comfort of mainland, or so exposed to the dramatic elements up there on the cliffs in total isolation? Or is it both things combined, and more? Abseiling down to the start of the climb just above the ocean crashing below heightens this feeling of being immersed in the earth's rhythms, and harnessing the adrenalin buzz into a balanced poise up this route is an intense exercise. It is a thrill.

Two-thirds up the route is a belay-stance just a foot wide. You have to stand on this and pay out rope while your partner makes the next pitch of the climb. You can just see Warren standing there in these pictures, with about 300ft below him to sea level:




I stood on that ledge for quite a while as Greg made the top pitch. As I waited (he had to sit while someone else finished up top) I turned to face out and the view started opening out away from me with massive celestial theatre. Looking out from here, I started crying without being able to stop - watching this view it felt like the whole of heaven was on its way across the ocean towards me and I had absolutely no choice in the matter. Goodness was coming to get me and I had nowhere to run! It was absolutely incredible ... something transfigured and I had to give in to it.

Because of the face I saw in the rock at the top of the climb, looking out at all this with a peaceful smile in place, I felt it was only appropriate to rename this climb 'Jacob's Ladder'. The presence of angels was felt.

It's hard to know how to finish this post, such an experience just doesn't sit in a conclusion very easily...




{Today's soundtrack: Soundtrack from The Ladykillers}

No comments: