August 02, 2007

Passion Flower




This is great - I've just worked out how to upload posts from my phone! This little flower was blooming in solitude on my balcony last night so I figured it had to be shared.

Did you know that this plant is not called 'passion' meaning love, but the passion of Christ? There is symbolism attached to each shape in the flower, right down to the 72 'radial filaments' in the flower representing the crown of thorns. There's a description here in the last section about its name (although two apostles seem to have been forgotten in order to give meaning to 10 petals).

And I was wrong to tell a friend the other day that it's different from passion fruit. This plant does fruit, but it's not the fruit you would normally eat.

Yummy.


{Today's soundtrack: Beth Orton - Daybreaker}

2 comments:

lorna said...

Hi Lizzie,
Passiflora edulis is the passion flower that produces the lovely passion fruit. And it does come from the plant with those beautiful passion flowers. (however, not ALL plants will produce the edible passion fruit, especially if they have been cultivated for the way they look.

In fact, my mum has a passion flower in her garden and has eaten a few passion fruits from it.

I was very interested to learn that it was Passion as in Jesus' Sacrifice, rather than Passion as in snogging.

(and there is something about that photo that I love too. Looks quite 'Holga-ish'.)

p.s. when are we going to see you again? I miss you.

Betty Silk said...

Yeah, the snoggin thing, being a fruity kind of plant can't help feeling they got that story wrong!

I miss you too. Let's get together and make cupcakes sometime soon.