August 08, 2008

Wall Hanging


Patience, patience, patience.

If you have a look at my news page you'll find out what the *amazing* thing was that happened over a year ago... a public art commission which came as incredible redemption in the direct wake of having all my kit stolen, which happened slightly more than just over a year ago. It has been an incredible journey through this and back again, though not quite yet out the other side. The original timetable set installation last September, but as things rolled out it has been pushed back, and back, and back again, then once more. Something this big and exciting is very difficult to be patient for, but I think I'm learning...

Waiting is one thing. Being patient is another, and a friend recently pointed out that patience–as opposed to merely waiting–involves wisely applying hope to the thickest disappointment to assert that you know that rubbish is not the final word (my disappointment here being related to the robbery, and also a craving for completion on this redemption story).

The more you practice patience–they say–the more you'll be able to apply a defiant, tenacious insistence for a great outcome – the best. It seems though, sometimes you need an extra big, black-belt lesson in patience via some highly demanding set of circumstances, but you must keep going because without it, nothing will ever change.

I remember saying on the day after the shoot for this project, I felt like I had set out to sea in a massive ship and had sailed so far I couldn't see land in any direction, so just had to keep on going. I don't know what else to say, except that while I patiently wait I could look at this particular photograph for ages, so it has come to help somewhat.


{Today's soundtrack: Lighthouse Family - Gonna Get Lifted, at Bristol's Balloon Fiesta... I know it's bad, but it's tradition.}

No comments: