August 14, 2008

What's Your Beef?



'A-agony–oh, a-a-a-go-ny,' I sing to myself while waiting for my tiny, cherry tomatoes to turn red! A joyful little song, not to let actual, painful agony get the better, but we're just willing them along.

For the record, today is August 14th, and last year I had my first tomato by August 10th. By this day last year things were looking really juicy. Currently, I'm watching one dark orange cherry tom struggling to make it to this same level of rougeness.

So it seems we're not actually so far off harvest, even though it's been so very chilly these recent days (anyone else found themselves defiant about putting the heating on?) and a little warmth would help ripen things up and get this party started. (And thanks, yes, before you ask I do get out, often.)

Because it's me, and because I'm in a season of patient waiting at the moment, I can't help reading into this and let it shepherd me into greater patience! But I am a bit jealous of my friend Esther's amazing beef tomatoes–pictured. Beef. Isn't that a great word?


{Today's soundtrack: Various film clips as the boys are working up some pitch ideas into a storyboard - Space Odyssey, Armageddon, Monsters Inc etc. That, and my phone ringing: my sister's home from the States!}

No comments: