August 29, 2008

Sailor's Hand



You said to me ten years ago, "It's all just on the horizon for you isn't it?"

I said last night, "Everything's still just on the horizon."

You replied with a hearty laugh as if to say, "Yes, I know darling, but keep going."

I consider the work of your leathery hands, and the weather lines on them that say it's not always been plain sailing – you've had your eyes fixed on the horizon for seventy years now, but you do love it in your boat.

The secret really is to be happy with today, isn't it? Older, wiser, you are good.


{Today's soundtrack: Seth again. I'm captivated.}

2 comments:

Sonja Jefferson said...

Hi Lizzie,
What a fantastic tribute. I hope he's read this - I know he would be proud. And it's only just over the horizon you know!
You rock.
Sonj
x

Betty Silk said...

Cheers Sonj,

Actually I wish I had a picture of Lyn's hand too as she was there saying some of these things. But her hands aren't gnarly and weathered like Pa's!