November 04, 2006

Hoods


I've been working with teenagers a bit recently, both at a Youth Club and teaching at a Further Education college. Reading the ASBO letters in today's Times made me think:

Teenagers with their hoods up aren't necessarily trying to disguise themselves ready for criminal activity. They are unsure of themselves, afraid of getting things wrong, being put on the spot and stuck for a good answer where ideas of life are concerned. Who are they most convinced by as role models? Their politicians behave like animals, their music heroes are driven by anger, frustration and confusion, where wisdom - which resists fashion - is hard to find.

Gentle people of faith and integrity attempt balanced dialogue in the wings but the shouty tits and farce of tabloids drowns them out, and there is zero tolerance on soul in the Temples of Shopping - our new religious institutions.

If I was a teenager, I'd want to put my hood up while I tried to figure all this out, and if anyone tried to make me take it off I'd probably growl.

These pictures are of some teenagers whose growls I like a lot. They have some good ideas, are socially engaged and make great music. The camera helped us be a bit more honest with each other, so I look at the little contact images of them and wonder what they're telling me, what questions they have and what they want from us.

I'll put more pictures up as I print them with links to another site I'm working on - look out for anything related to 43million.

Until then, my thought for the day would be this: if a hood is a shelter, well, we all need a bit of that don't we?


{today's soundtrack: Leftfield's 'Swords' from Rhythm and Stealth}

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Except for the teenager who was buzzing about our estate with a mini-motorbike... no helmet... keeping everyone awake.... went out to see who it was... he saw me looking and put his hood up quickly...knew he was being a right pain in the arse to all and sundry....

Hello Lizzie. Nice blog.

Kirsty said...

Last year I particuarly like wearing the hoddies just because I found them warm and practical

But I guess also around that time I was being bullied quiet a bit so they were also protection- made me feel as if i could just blend into the background... so i guess your quite right...

Like your photography btw (im currently doing a national diploma in photography at college)

Betty Silk said...

Hi there Mike, good to hear from you.

I know this type of being you refer to as I teach amongst them in an FE college. My thoughts still hold true though, as in hoods not always being used to disguise...

...as Kirsty verifies. Thanks Kirsty! And enjoy the course. You'll be the one smiling at the end of the day if you do something you love.

Right, I'm off to go and let off some bangers in the back lane...

Unknown said...

Hello, Lizzie.

Fired that comment off last week and totally forgot about it.

Until now, and the mini-moto is back and has been going for about 3 hours now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!

Betty Silk said...

Go and ask him if you can have a go, then accidentally drop a sugar cube into the petrol tank when he's not looking.