April 20, 2011

Winning Love

As the Jesus thing teaches us not to value a person's standing before we decide to love them, shaking hands with Pastor Rob Bell - a true advocate of this - last night as he signed my copy of his 'Love Wins' book felt a bit phony.

Actually, I just wanted to ask a question about why I think many so-called christians get hung up on their need to be right about who's in, who's out. It was to do with it being supposedly easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven, you know the story. I think it is this comment (among others) that causes people to be so rigid in their desire for rules, guidelines, approvals, permissions, gold stars and stickers on their 'am I getting to heaven' reward chart. I knew Pastor Rob would have a good take on it, so took the opportunity of a book signing to go and ask. However, too busy chatting to someone else and as a last minute straggler, I found myself in an embarrassing bun fight for attention as jet lag got the better of him and stewards the better of me, and he signed my book with barely time for a handshake while still listening to someone else who was taking the opportunity for a monologue. So awkward.

Convinced that love does win, instead I took my question to my friends on the journey home, and we had an interesting chat about obsession with rules versus stuffing up, getting to say sorry and having another go. And also decided not to be embarrassed about asking a writer to sign their book.

It's counter-intuitive, or should I say counter-culture, this Jesus thing, but I'm so glad about that because winning love is no longer on the agenda. Actually, one of the best things Pastor Rob said last night was, "I don't know."

Thank goodness, he said what we're all thinking.




{Today's Soundtrack: Clock Opera - Belongings}

No comments: