April 30, 2011

Splicing




Look what I made!

So here I am floating around on water messing about with ropes. When my friend's father offered to take us out on his boat today in characteristically English celebration of a Royal Wedding bank holiday weekend, I was already excited. When he asked me if I'd like to splice a new bow rope I was beside myself. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll be thinking I should get out more, but for a sailor and a craftswoman and a thinker and having just dug out my post about 'strong ropes', this, dear friends, was Christmas early.

I love splicing. My own father taught me when I was very young. He - a sailor and engineer - may have been blind to the poetic potential of weaving a three-way twine but the other side of my genetic make-up being an artist mother who loved knitting will forever forge the practical with the poetic, and so today I turned in my hands the construction of a truly strong and special rope.

Whenever you weave strands, especially of life, you are splicing something amazing for something huge so it does not go adrift.

The splice I made will hold fast a massive, heavy boat on its mooring. I'm really proud of that.


{Today's Soundtrack: Summertime - Gershwin}

No comments: