April 11, 2011

Circles of Confusion


Reposted from May 18, 2007

Ok, I know I said I was off the lightbox for a few days but that is overturned as of 6am, when this happened:




A tree outside my bedroom window stands between me and the sun, and its leaves layer up to form thousands of tiny pinholes through which the sun presses. By the time these exact pinhole beams reach the wall next to me they have defracted and grown into soft pools of light. As the breeze provokes a shiver in the tree, the leafy pinholes shift about and cause these 'circles of confusion' (as they are technically known) to dance around with each other.

Their frenetic shifting happens so quickly, these circles appear to move in rhythm but there is actually nothing predictable about them at all - even their density comes and goes with cloud cover. They momentarily overlap like neat Venn diagrams, with the shared segment being brighter than the solo shape, but are in perpetual motion, quick to pass and change. They are impossible to catch, their boundaries are multiple, and they are a constant catching of breath. I adore them. They tell me about us.



{Today's soundtrack: Ray LaMontagne - Be Here Now}

No comments: