March 21, 2011

A Cove Called Hope


My friend Jackie posted yesterday, 'a small change can make a big difference'. I am here testifying to this being true.

For the last few months I have made a number of small changes - first actionable steps on the way to a chosen goal. Trouble is, I forgot, or maybe didn't believe, that actions have consequences. The point of committing to the first step is that the journey begins whether you are ready or not. Suppose I expected the map to be clear, but if you do a thing, the next thing that occurs may likely not be what you imagined, so you discover the map is useless.

I was very grateful of Don Miller's post on Friday entitled 'Is Your Life Confusing?' Yes, it is!

Choosing to make some changes in your life is good, but not a done deal when you decide to go for it. It turns out that putting the plough down and ceasing intense focus on the furrows, I may have forgotten slightly what I want the field to look like. All the better for taking some time to be still through lent.

It was an absolute joy this weekend to spend time with family on the coast. Blue sky all the way, ocean doing the 'crushed diamonds' thing that Clive James talks about. Some breathing space, and a true sense that winter is closing up shop. At last! Family are always good for reminding you what it was like before you had these crazy ideas. We are such different characters, multi-coloured shingle, but they always want to know what's happening in the story. They remember what I wanted my field to look like in the first place, and wonder how it's shaping up. As we walked in aptly named Hope Cove we chatted back and forth about all our journeys.

A little re-visioning in spring sunshine.



{Today's Soundtrack: Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay}

No comments: