January 21, 2011

The Encouraged


Just before Christmas, I went to have a chat with my Pastor about a few things. Not sure I wanted resolution on my musings so much as a wise soul to share them with. There are some ideas about life and what's brewing which are very interesting but to be really honest, I wanted those ideas to go away. I want things to change, but I don't want things to change. 

Get me? No?

Let's try again.

There's stuff that we live with all the time, and it becomes the fabric of us. Some of this stuff is not what you would have described at the dawn of time if the Angel Of Everything You Ever Longed For asked you to describe what you longed for back then. But all the same, it is our stuff, stuff of living, and even if it looks pretty shabby it does honestly describe where we have been and what has shaped us in our lives. By definition, therefore, it comes to inform what we long for. Every day, anew. And some of this stuff is just too wonderful to have imagined in the first place. What I carry now I am amazed by, and would never have thought I would get to carry it. 

I really want to see new iterations of creation and blessing unfold in all sorts of ways, both in my life and other's. I want to get to the end of a windward slog, push the rudder away and breeze downwind with sails wide and full. I do want to see the turning of a corner. But it is not without apprehension too.

Apprehension is to do with fear of leaving the status quo. This is the time to not be afraid. This is the time to remember hearts on the floor, and their being 'scuffed and grubby', full of love and life, with a shimmer and a glint. Everything you carry has tremendous value. Everything you are equipped with is everything you need to pick up and plane when you get around that corner.

Go on, push the rudder away... 


{Today's Soundtrack: Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind}

No comments: