December 04, 2006

oh no...

I've had all my camera gear nicked. It was stolen while I was shooting a wedding - cameras, laptop, films, phone, wallet, keys, the lot.

Today, the pictures I have are those in my head, and I am wondering if I will be able to write about what I saw for the couple whose wedding I was shooting at the time. Using my words alone, can I do any justice to the memory of that day for those people who made those vows in front of those friends?

For the couple concerned, I am utterly speechless - I don't think I can string a sentence together.

Furthermore, my little world was in that case, at least I thought. But it turns out that my world is actually more embedded in the essence of close friendships and loving kindness of family who have held me together over the last couple of days. Essence can't be stolen, not that easily.

I think this: there are two choices here - one, to freeze up and let this stop everything, or two, (which I prefer) to get straight into the darkroom and print up images that remind me why I do this in the first place. I'm praying that the heart of a desperate thief melts, but know the blessings are already happening elsewhere in the amazing community of people who have gathered around to help and see a postive outcome here.

All is not lost. What were my own words? Take heart, you have everything to gain.

9 comments:

rod said...

what a terrible circumstance, that birthed a beautiful realization.
My wife and I have been victims of theft twice in the past 10 months. Both times, as we waded through the seemingly endless affidavits and such, I thought about the misnomer, "identity theft." How sad if our identities were contained on a pieces of plastic with a series of numbers.

Thank you for blogging

Anonymous said...

Hi Lizzie, found you site to see pics of my friend Lois...thankyou, theyre beautiful. Spoke briefly on Sunday at Foundation, not realising the extent of your loss... how dreadful, and so wonderful your optimistic response.. I would love to see more of the work. Cheers, JIM.

Betty Silk said...

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your kind words. Foundation's thoughts on Sunday were a real help in how my response shaped up after Saturday. Sure I'll be back, so see you soon.

Lizzie

DirkStar said...

Oh my god! I am heart sick for you.

Want to see some “real” flower power?

Betty Silk said...

thanks - great flower power.

L

Ellen Loudon said...

It was great to meet you on Sunday. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love and blessings xxx

lorna said...

Awwww Lizzie. That is SO AWEFUL, and MADENING, and STRESSFUL. What a shining star you are that you can get through this with hope and positivity- not letting it make you bitter, not letting it cause more trouble for you than it need do.

Most of all, I do hope that you were insured (and that they pay out), so that you can have a little fun replacing what was lost with new shiny things that are exactly of your choosing.

Anonymous said...

Lizzie, I think I tried to pull the carpet tiles from under you at foundation on sunday; not realising some camera thief had already done similar. How pants, I'm really sorry but appreciate the mixture of grief anf graciousness in your post.

Betty Silk said...

I'm glad that those thoughts (last post) all came out so early on because it's been a horrible week and I'm not sure how things will go with the insurance - they can be tough! But good to have them to hang on to.

Thanks for all the warm wishes, I'll let you know how it goes!

xxxL