November 09, 2012

Thank You Rowan



It was about ten years ago that I stood a couple of feet in front of Rowan Williams to make this picture. He was about to take his position as Archbishop. He talked back then about the growing 'cult of celebrity' which really resonated with me as a young photographer, and since has helped inform the way I shoot portraits. 

This week I was invited to photograph the unfolding events at Lambeth Palace as Justin Welby is announced as the new Archibishop. I was pipped to the post by someone who was (as I am led to understand) not concerned with upholding industry standard copyright terms (as I am) - for the sake of what? He would have no right to use his own images under those terms, even in his own portfolio. And I really hope he didn't accept an inappropriately low fee either. 

My years working at Magnum photos really taught me a respect for our photographic pioneers who fought hard to ensure the skill and rights of the photographer are protected, which is why we have the laws we do. Perhaps this person has different views, but what he did this week is why it is so difficult to make a living out of photography now. This, and a common misconseption that anyone can take a decent photograph if they have an expensive-enough camera is eroding photography as a profession. 

As I sit at my desk in Bristol this morning rather than run around in Lambeth with the new Archbishop, I am obviously evaluating what I do this for, and how. So here it is:

As a photographer, I believe each of us has precious dignity that a good photographer knows how to capture. This involves having insight, wisdom, respect, kindness - travelling the journey together and caring to look after each other for the long haul. Approaching people with my camera with integrity and respect carries all the way through to how I run my business. I do experience David and Goliath moments in negotiations quite often, but I choose to stand firm and honour both my business and the people I work with. 

I lost this job, but I keep my integrity, which is what I'll still be shooting with in decades to come even if the photography industry has gone to pot.

So, back to Rowan.

Thinking on themes of enduring and wise love of our fellow humans, this man has been a role model for me. I treasure Archbishop Rowan for the careful measure he brought to serious debate, and his ability to thoroughly mix compassion and intelligent reasoning in the tough job of steering fiercely strong heads towards workable positions that involve all of us. He has an immense grasp on the fact that life is never a quick fix, and as a leader—for me at least—models beautiful courage, insisting on a long 'road to Emmaus' journey while we ponder our spiritual lives, rather than the blinding 'road to Damascus' hit that would only satisfy a superficial, short-term desire for good headline solutions.

Every time I look at this picture today I feel really sad that a very great and wise man has resigned his position at the table, and I feel we—as a church, nation, or society—are losing a dignified voice worthy of brave, compassionate comment on social and global issues. Archbishop Rowan stood with integrity for social justice (he was once arrested for demonstrating against nuclear armament by singing Psalms, and remember his criticism of the Coalition "for which no one voted"?). I wish I had listened to him far more than I did.

But I know for certain that I'm glad he did speak the way he did, and I'm thankful to have this photograph. If it should be any Archbishop, I'm glad it is him.

Thank you Rowan.


{Today's Soundtrack: Yo-Yo Ma and crew - Here and Heaven}

4 comments:

Andrew Brown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Betty Silk said...

Andrew Brown, Thank you for your very kind comment - I accidentally deleted it though!

Fi said...

" This, and a common misconseption that anyone can take a decent photograph if they have an expensive-enough camera is eroding photography as a profession."

And don't forget a copy of Photoshop! And a love of HDR! ;)

I agree with your comments about Archbishop Rowan though. As an atheist I find it rare to come across religious figures with whom I feel that I can really identify, but I always liked him and felt he fought for inclusivity, not exclusivity. He brought the values of his faith, that I believe should truly be shared by all faiths (and probably would be if all were true to their doctrines) and lived and acted by them.

Also, great to see you blogging again xx

Betty Silk said...

Hi Fi!

Yes, a truly good man.

For the record, I am not knocking people who love photography and invest in nice kit to play with - just pointing out there's a long way between this and working with professionalism and upholding industry standards which have evolved over time for good reasons.

This is about recognising that a top notch skill and true professionalism are hard won, worth paying properly for and protecting with adequate contracts.

If skills are given away for free, then fine, someone gets to enjoy their hobby and clients save their budget, but that's why I say it erodes the 'profession' of photography - people can no longer expect to make a living from their skills.

There are legal and contractual things that are really sensible to have in place in a professional setting, and if these fall off the wagon then a weird form of censorship rears its head - I may blog about this in more detail as I had a really interesting chat with my friend about it this weekend!

By the way - re: keen amateurs and family connections, watch this space and you'll discover why I am absolutely all for (born out of) the keen hobbyist!

L xx