November 23, 2012

Climbing My Staircase

 
Doing an illustration for someone this week, I was inspired by a quote from Martin Luther King Jr:
 
'You just need to make the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase....' or words to that effect, I don't have it to hand. You could look it up.
 
There are so many ways in which this resonates - work dreams, life dreams, people dreams - and the sentiment echoes many memories of courage gathering, being strong and brave, placing one crucial first foot on the staircase and trusting that the ascent will be obvious ahead. The operative word here is 'dreams', and there are a million quotes and counter quotes about those.
 
I'm reflecting back over these Lightbox posts remembering first steps, partly because a lot has changed in the six years I have been writing them, and also at the moment it's helpful and - readers, may I be presumptuous here? - actually, quite interesting storytelling in places.
 
Back in 2006 when I began Lightbox, 'blogs' (hate using that word, it's so ugly) were not ubiquitous. They were still just a place to play, and record. So I started recording, and exploring life a bit more, perhaps as a way of collecting interesting things to record.
 
When Lightbox began, I didn't know I could write anything that anyone cared to read. The Major Project Of My Life hadn't happened, I hadn't run a half marathon or been to Portland, New Zealand or Peru, or in a hot air balloon, or climbed an E1 route, and I was a few heartbreaking bloke encounters lighter back then too. I wasn't qualified as a teacher and certainly hadn't managed to create the street kids exhibition let alone place it anywhere. When this site began, I hadn't yet had all my photography kit stolen, sung My Funny Valentine and You've Got The Love solo to an audience, or led hymn singing with a guitar on a beach in Sweden. I hadn't listened to a sermon in french and understood it, and - can you believe this - hadn't found a single sequinned heart on the floor. I hadn't had my faith stretched to breaking point and reconstructed when I chose to give up my need to control everything, and I certainly hadn't realised that Lightbox would become the place where I would share that prayerful stance in the 11,097 times you have all visited and read along with me. And on top of all this, I hadn't had that crisis approaching my 40th birthday this year, which revolved around feeling I had nothing to show for being 40 because I'm still not married and don't have kids - isn't that perverse?
 
Not being married or having your own kids can attract a lot of pity from people, and this is nothing less than robbery of everything else you are. Come on people, if you don't have those things then you had better make sure you are not caught sitting around waiting for it to happen. That would just be a shameful waste of a life.
 
I had no clue when I put my foot on the first step that my staircase would turn out like this.
 
Here's the thing, Mister King, and I suspect you're way ahead here, but as I've discovered, the staircase isn't really very straight at all is it, and it doesn't seem to have an end point on the landing either.
 
(Perhaps an Escher drawing would fit right in at this point.)
 
Looking back over these posts is like seeing chinagraph pencil on contact sheets - picking out frames that have a clunky, disjointed, imperfect, curiously compelling quality about them. It may not be a perfect narrative, but this is my staircase. I'm glad it exists.
 
 
* Thanks to Robbie for the birthday photograph.
 
 
{Today's Soundtrack: Ricky Lee Jones - Rainbow Sleeves}
 

4 comments:

Pete Wood said...

Lizzie, I have loved reading your thoughts and seeing your images over these last few years, even though I haven't commented much. I can't believe how much you've packed in. Thanks for sharing so much.

I'm sorry about the time I said I'd categorised you in my feed reader as `rarely updated`. It was actually a way of making sure that your updates didn't get drowned out by the onslaught of `stuff` online, much of which needs filtering and ignoring. I really didn't want to miss your posts so had a special category.

Totally unrelated but another feed in that category was Rands In Repose. So, longer, considered, worth taking time to read, and not to be missed.

Thanks for your encouragement with Rootle. I still haven't got far but have been thinking lots.

Betty Silk said...

Pete, thanks so much. People rarely comment on my posts so I carry on without much feedback, so I'm still quite surprised that in my ramblings folk like you (you fab man) feel inspired and want to keep reading.

I'd love to get more comments and hear about peoples' own reflections, but maybe sometimes quiet space is still the best.

Keep in touch. Lx

J W-B said...

Hi Liz, J here. Sometimes staircases leave you hanging, or you realise half-way up that you can't continue, and wish that you never started. It's hard to know where they lead when you're stood at the bottom. Some people live a charmed life and all their stairways take them up. Some have so many false starts that they give up climbing altogether. It helps to share our journeys, which is why I occasionally dip into your blog to appreciate yours better.

Betty Silk said...

Hi J. Thanks.

I'm not convinced by the appearance of charmed lives. I had to get over that idea long ago and know first hand how appearances can be so deceptive (she says, reaching for M. Scott Peck).

I think the steps—however hard they are to climb—are opportunities to have a go, learn, and climb on with more wisdom and vision, quite possibly with no sense of control at all.

Have a listen to these amazing podcasts of Maslow in 60s California - he puts it quite well! It's the 'Farther Reaches' series and my particular favourite is no.6:

http://maslowpodcast.blogspot.co.uk/