August 24, 2010

Composition



Something got me thinking, that between the surface of things and the sound of things and the way they are both noted, maybe there's a correlation. I've been thinking this for ages. During supporting studies for the Angels project (click on 'galleries'), I lost myself in these thoughts without realising that's what they were. Life superceded, and conclusion decided to hold off for a while.

The great thing about living in a big little place is that just doing the day to day, you get to meet some really interesting people. So it comes about that I am sitting in a coffee house with old friend Stanton Delaplane and new friend Richard Barnard, chatting graphic scores, and more specifically, Cornelius Cardew and his score, Treatise.

It's perhaps the single most inspiring thing I've seen in ages. At this point, my head starts to explode. I am so inspired I can barely sit still, and need to start making pictures pdq. As for the boys, they are already talking gig dates.

On the basis that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I've started noting some ideas using basic in-camera compositions which work on their own here. Storyboarding them, they start telling me things boldly, in the way that a good narrative structure may feed off itself. They also speak in panorama, reminiscent of Koudelka's 'Chaos'. When I start layering these up, I have to apply my most professional skills to not fall off my chair in giddiness, but you'll have to wait for those ideas!

There is an ocean of thought here. I feel as though I'm 5 years old, skimming stones.


{Today's Soundtrack: The Temper Trap - Conditions/Sweet Disposition}

No comments: