September 08, 2008

Easy Life


Sitting still watching out over the beach, hair crimped with salt, hands wrinkled and dry from the wind, freckles coming out, nose running, and sand clinging to my toes, I shut my eyes and all I can see is the crest of a wave as it breaks over the nose of my board, then recall that feeling of being up against a power almost too big for you, when the wave is so enormous you have to dive through its base and the force of it crashing over you is so strong that any second now it might wash your skin clean off but you hold your breath and keep going... Right here in this moment I just had a flurry of ideas about things and had to write them down.

But this post isn't about me! It's in honour of a flustered waiter who, obliging and trusting, lent me his biro ("like gold dust around here") and a few sheets of his order pad to commit the ideas to paper, all because I ignored the golden rule – don't leave home without a notebook!


What were the ideas? A series of drawings to be put together like songs on an album, and it's all well and good having the wild ideas which leave you as soon as you have to go and do the ironing, but it's another thing seizing them as they gallop past and insisting they go on paper – that's when they start to become real, and that's probably why loads of people never do it.


There's a related post on news.


{Today's soundtrack: Kings Of Leon}

1 comment:

Peter Wood said...

Hi Lizzie,

Love the picture of the crocheted breaking waves.

It was great to spend time with you at Greenbelt.

Love Pete