June 12, 2007

Settle


"If I make my bed in the depths,
If I settle on the far side of the sea,
Even there your hand will guide me..."

Sometimes, the best thing to do is head up to the highest point you can find and breathe so deeply that the air fills your toes. There may be a hundred reasons why this is the best thing to do, happy or sad, but in my experience there are few better ways to settle yourself. Doesn't even have to be that high, just a place where the view extends away from those air-filled toes into a distance that is bigger and more mysterious than you... I think it's something about surrender.

(Having said that, the Gormley statues suggest otherwise don't they? Hmm, the plot thickens.)

With all this in mind, I'm off for a few days with a friend to breathe in the cliff top views of Cornwall. We're hoping to find some surf, and much as I'll try to avoid all the photographic clichés for you when I return I can't promise - some things are appealing for good–if simple–reason. An old post from October comes to mind, so leaving you with all this, have a good few days, I'll be back soon!


{Today's soundtrack: Radio 4}

No comments: